Friday, July 3, 2009

I need to blog more.

So let me start my newly-motivated blogging streak by commenting on an eyebrow-raising experience I had today.

My dad and I decided to go down to the YMCA to play racquetball (ha. ha.) because it was way too hot to play tennis, and racquetball means a significantly smaller area for chasing stray balls.

We were crunched for time as we left home, so I figured I'd just throw together some tennis shoes and running shorts and change in the bathroom of the locker room at the Y. It's usually pretty quiet and my dad would have to change too so I knew I'd have time. When we arrived I unassumingly went down to the locker room and made a bee line for the bathroom. In two minutes I was ready to go and washing my hands at the sinks. Then it happened.

In the giant mirror I glimpsed an old lady in a towel (there are usually several of these in the locker room). I didn't need to take a second glance to know that the towel was only covering her up to her waist. On top she was wearing - you guessed it! - NOTHING.

Call me weak, say I'm whining, or tell me that eventually I will look just like her, but old lady breasts are not something anyone really wants to see. As I stood there trying to wash my hands a quickly as possible, at least five other women walked by. Old boobs lady was totally unmoved. I just wonder what goes through her head, and that of every woman who prances around the locker room naked. Is this a vestige of a bygone era in which women were comfortable enough with their bodies to display them in this (admittedly) completely non-sexual setting?

Or is it just that I'm missing out on some sort of feminine tryst? Am I uber-modest? Is it strange that I don't feel exceedingly comfortable bearing it all in a large unfamiliar room? I think when it comes down to it, personal taste prevails. If she wants to let her boobs breathe in the locker room, more power to her. But the next time I see a semi-naked elderly woman, I will look away - awkwardly, uncomfortably, and very VERY quickly.

No comments: