Thursday, October 2, 2008

Red and Black and Blue


It smelled like waffle cones walking by Village A the other night. I guess I didn't really stop to smell the waffles. I prefer my ice cream in the wax-coated paper dishes, thank you.

So much running! So many motions! Hobbes! Professor Douglass! Violent death!

My ridiculous Philosophy professor last year would describe Thomas Hobbes by running in place, probably the most motion he ever made in the class. Usually he would just gum his little peppermint candy and slowly and thoughtfully sip from his water cup. And slowly and thoughtfully unscrew our head-tops and fill them with Knowledge. It was beautiful.

I get it now!

"It is time for us all to decide who we are. Do we fight for the right to a night at the opera now?"

Actually, yes, we do. There are only 200 student tickets available for La Traviata at the Kennedy Center. I won't get one of them. Bitterness!

"What was right seems wrong, and what was wrong seems right."

Today in Religion, Ethics, and International Affairs we talked about Thomas Jefferson. My nun professor talked a lot about how she loves and abhors TJ at the same time. She talks about the use of some of Jefferson's ideas in the language of the French Revolution. All this liberty, equality, fraternity is making me hungry for musicals somehow. Yum. Revolution.

Tonight is the Vice-Presidential debate. Yum. Politics. I wonder what Enjolras would have to say.

Painting: Eugene Delacroix


No comments: